Home / Shop / New Instruments / Guitars / Electric Guitars
Fender American Original 70s Telecaster® Custom, Rosewood Fingerboard, 3-Color Sunburst
At the dawn of the seventies, as popular music trended towards the fatter tones of humbucking pickups into overdriven amps, Fender hired legendary humbucking pickup designer Seth Lover to create a distinctly Fender-flavored take on a higher output dual-coil pickup. The resulting Wide Range pickup used large bobbins and threaded CuNiFe rod magnets to achieve its unique and brilliant sound. The Telecaster® Custom was discontinued in 1979 and real CuNiFe-magnet pickups disappeared with them.
The American Original ‘70s Telecaster Custom features the first authentic CuNiFe magnet powered Wide Range neck pickup in over 40 years, complemented by a calibrated Tim-Shaw-designed ‘70s Telecaster single-coil bridge pickup. Controls include individual volume and tone for each pickup and an upper-bout 3-way toggle switch. Other touches include original-era body radii, vintage-style hardware – including F logo tuners and bullet truss rod adjust and a lacquer finish that lets the wood breathe naturally with resonant tone. A vintage-style hardshell case is included.
The nitrocellulose lacquer finish not only lets the body breathe with its true tonal character, it also ages and wears in a distinctively personal way.
AUTHENTIC CUNIFE WIDE RANGE HUMBUCKING PICKUP
The first authentic CuNiFe magnet powered Wide Range pickup in over 40 years, delivering clear, bell-like humbucking tones.
VINTAGE-ACCURATE BODY RADII AND NECK PROFILE
Original-era fans can rest assured every curve and line of the body and shape of the neck are accurate to the historic originals.
From the bridge to the string tree and tuning machines, every piece of hardware is just like the original.
FINGERBOARD & FRETS
This 9.5”-radius fingerboard is slightly flatter than a vintage-style 7.25” radius, providing a comfortable fret-hand feel. Vintage-tall frets make it easier to bend notes without fretting out.
“MEDIUM C” NECK PROFILE
Remarkably comfortable, the “Medium C”-shaped neck profile is sculpted for a period-correct playing feel that’s comfortable for all players.
- Body Material: Alder
- Body Finish: Gloss Lacquer
- Body Shape: Telecaster®
- Neck Material: Maple
- Neck Finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Scale Length: 25.5″ (648 mm)
- Fingerboard Material: Maple
- Fingerboard Radius: 9.5″ (241 mm)
- Number of Frets: 21
- Fret Size: Narrow Tall
- Nut Material: Bone
- Nut Width: 1.650″ (42 mm)
- Position Inlays: Black Dot
- Truss Rod: Bullet Style
- Bridge Pickup: Vintage-Style ’70s Single-Coil Tele®
- Neck Pickup: Tim Shaw Authentic CuNiFe Wide-Range Humbucking
- Controls: Volume 1. (Bridge Pickup), Volume 2. (Neck Pickup), Tone 1. (Bridge Pickup), Tone 2. (Neck Pickup)
- Switching: 3-Position Toggle: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge And Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup
- Configuration: SH
- Bridge: 3-Saddle Vintage-Style Tele® with Slotted Steel Saddles
- Hardware Finish: Nickel/Chrome
- Tuning Machines: Fender® Vintage “F” Stamped
- Pickguard: 3-Ply Black/White/Black
- Control Knobs: Skirted Black Plastic with Numbered Indicators
- Neck Plate: 3-Bolt “F” Stamped with Micro-Tilt™
- Strings: Fender® USA 250R Nickel Plated Steel (.010-.046 Gauges), PN 0730250406
- Other Features: Vintage Tint
- Legal Notice: WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm – www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.
- Case/Gig Bag: Vintage-Style Hardshell